View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #262
Drake

Default Re: One Publication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Good for Drake that his local elders are okay with that, but not so with others. I have bought a few books with different Christian authors. But when the elder saw that I had a Christian book that isn't published by LSM, he demanded me to read Lee's books only!
Well, I believe you Kevin but I've never encountered that and I have observed many authors on the shelves of private libraries of brothers including leading ones. Furthermore, I bought most of my Govett, Pember, Panton, etc. from Conley and Schoettle publishers who had a table at an LSM sponsored conference. Additionally, LSM publishes the works of Watchman Nee that within also references and publishes those other authors works (Jessie Penn Lewis, S.D Gordon, and others) in the Collected Works.

I can't speak to your experience and why the elder demanded that you read only Brother Lee's books. It really baffles me because I have never seen an elder or a leading one exhibit that attitude or behavior in my four decades + about what anyone can read. It's a ridiculous demand and expectation because it goes contrary to the observation above and even if an elder were predisposed to controlling others in that way it is impossible to enforce.

Anyway, here's the thing. The "One Publication" is not about what one can read... it is about what LSM will publish under the banner of the ministry they are entrusted with. Every publisher reserves the right to publish what they feel responsible to the Lord for. I don't see any demands in the One Publication that forbids anyone from reading and owning whatever they like.

And finally, in UntoHim's argument he borrowed the "One Publication" term to make a different point, that being that the ONLY publication we as Christians should have is the Bible. So for you my friend, better get all Fahrenheit 451 with those John Piper books you treasure.

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote