View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #85
Evangelical

Default Re: Posts and Reactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Avoids an issue by addressing a different issue, addressing it as if it was the same one. (Example: I brought up in “Women’s Role” #106 that Evangelical stated that Satan sowed Judas, and I cited a verse stating that Jesus chose Judas. I requested that Evangelical retract and repent. Instead, he gave an explanation that Judas was a tare (which was not the point) and concluded with, “God allowed Satan to use Judas.” As if that wasn’t enough, he then joked about it (#116) by seconding Drake’s joke on the matter (#110). This kind of sleight-of-hand does not clear him of ascribing to Satan what the apostle John attributed to Jesus. This kind of behavior is either disingenuous or displays an inability to understand the point being made.
I don't see how this is relevant to this thread/discussion.

But I will say that John was mistaken in reading "Satan sowing Judas" to mean the same as "Satan choosing Judas". Thus he constructed a straw man argument first without seeking clarification, and then felt holy enough to try and make me feel guilty about it. On that point, who is John to ask me or anyone to retract and repent over an apparent misunderstanding? Is he not satisfied with Drake's offer of waterboarding? If John needs some kindling for the fire I think I know where he can get some, however he best use the paperback version not the Kindle version.

However more seriously now, I believe that Satan's sowing himself is a temporal, not permanent thing best illustrated by this verse:

Luke 22:3 Then Satan entered Judas Iscariot

There is a difference between sowing and choosing. A person's view on this will depend upon their view of God's sovereignty and man's responsibility. Awareness would probably have chimed in with some comment about the gospel of Judas.

But I will say that I believe both that Jesus chose Judas, and Judas was a tare sowed by Satan. These two views were reconciled by my statement: "God allowed Satan to use Judas".

John seems to have taken a rigid interpretation of the word "sown" as meaning "from birth", but instead of clarifying my statement, sought to use that against me.

But I think if there was anyone more fitting for being a "tare growing among the wheat" it would have been Judas Iscariot, whether from birth, from choosing, or some time later before the crucifixion. How Judas came to be there does not seem so relevant to me.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote