View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #104
ToGodAlone

Default Re: The Local Church Lexicon — Common Phrases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
TGA,

Would it be possible for you to write a few words of advice for college Freshmen who are being aggressively pursued by the "Christians on Campus" group? What should they watch for? How did you handle their aggression? How did you "escape"?

Thanks--
Nell
I'd like to if I was actually qualified to. I was never aggressively pursued or even pursued. I told them rather early on that I was part of another church and I guess that in itself was how I "escaped" them. The fact of the matter is, CoC will go after a lot of people who are curious about either religion or Christianity in particular. They probably don't know much about Christianity at the very least, and even if they do know some basic facts, CoC will insist that they too believe and follow the same things (and this is true to an extent). CoC will also make their events the most friendly place for you to be, so it'd be hard for anyone who is completely unsuspecting to even feel like they are being pursued. Once they get "sucked in" so to speak, they'll just say they felt the love of Christ in that group. A common thing I heard among members of CoC who said they had been to other fellowships before (which makes me wonder about what those fellowships were like) was that they felt more fellowship in the LRC than anywhere else. So unless that freshman is completely aware of what is going on, there's not much I can say but avoid them or distance yourself from them as much as possible and instead pick a more mainstream group like Intravarsity or something. If the freshman is aware of what is going on, chances are, I'd think, that they'd also know what CoC and the LRC are all about and they wouldn't need much of my help.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't very helpful, so I'm sorry if it wasn't. I guess I said what they should look out for a little bit. Feel free to ask more questions though, I'll try to help to the best of my limited abilities.
ToGodAlone is offline   Reply With Quote