Thread: Lee's Trinity
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #204
OBW

Default Re: Lee's Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
As you insist repeatedly that God is three beings then you clearly embrace tritheism. God as three beings places your beliefs completely outside the mainstream of orthodoxy.
Actually, no. To deny that there are three beings places you outside the mainstream or orthodoxy.

As I said to Egangelical just a moment ago (and I will repeat for your feeble (or devious) mind, the true definition of tritheism is to worship or believe in three gods. But to believe in three persons that are one God is not believing in three gods. It is believing in One God.

So you ignore the fact that we believe in One God and declare that because we understand God to be in three persons (which can only imply three beings) that we are believing in three gods. But that is false. It is a lie.

It makes you guilty of equivocation — using a different definition without actually saying so.

One God in Three Persons is not three gods. Therefore no tritheism. That is the mainstream of orthodoxy.

It is rather your "not really three persons" definition of God that is not in the mainstream. Anything short of three persons and the thee is an illusion.

The Athanasian creed, partly quote some time back, say is very well.
d
We worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; Neither confounding the persons nor dividing the substance. For there is one person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Spirit. So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God; And yet they are not three Gods, but one God. But the whole three persons are coeternal, and coequal. So that in all things, as aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped.

This is the understanding of mainstream thinking on the Trinity in Christianity. There are three persons, not three aspects, mental states, phases, or stages of God. You should look and see your version in one or more of the heresies in this video.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote