View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #204
DistantStar

Default Re: My Local Church Experience - And My Testimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
Here's another one to educate yourself better with (emphasis mine, in bold)

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=denomination

denomination (n.) Look up denomination at Dictionary.com
late 14c., "a naming, act of giving a name to," from Old French denominacion "nominating, naming," from Latin denominationem (nominative denominatio) "a calling by anything other than the proper name, metonymy," from denominare "to name," from de- "completely" (see de-) + nominare "to name" (see nominate). Meaning "a class" is from mid-15c. Monetary sense is 1650s; meaning "religious sect" is 1716.

So we see that a denomination is a group which calls itself by something other than the proper name.

To argue that denomination does not mean the same thing as denominate, is clutching at straws to say the least.
Firstly, this source of yours is still on a lesser plane than Oxford and Merriam Webster. You keep failing in your definitions so you keep on seeking even more obscure ones. Secondly, I'll grant you that definition if you also grant me my definitions which I gave. According to my definitions, the LC is a denomination.

Either you accept all definitions, or you go by those with more authority - in which case Oxford and Merriam Webster will be more trustworthy. Your choice. You cannot just believe what you want.

You were looking for definitions to fit your presuppositions, hence why you keep on coming with new ones after I showed the flaws in your earlier ones. So I have to wonder, if not for this obscure website, how did you know that a denomination were simply those who denominated themselves? How did you know that? Who taught you that?

Proverbs 14:12
DistantStar is offline   Reply With Quote