View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #100
Ohio

Default Re: The Experience of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
The Bible also doesn't say that John or Peter "experienced Christ". So what have we added, here? When Jesus says, "Get away from me, all you workers of evil! I don't know you!" Isn't that also an experience of Christ, just as valid an "experience" as any other? No? We need qualifiers, then? So what did the "experience of Christ" add? Answer: nothing. Except to captivate our minds with their mental constructions. Don't stay there.

When John wrote "And he carried me away in Spirit, onto a great and high mountain, and he showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven, from God" was that an experience of Christ? When John tried to worship the angel as "Christ" the angel forbade it. So where was Christ, there? The "he" who carried John away in Spirit wasn't the Holy Spirit or Christ, but a ministering spirit. Is everything positive and good simply an experience of Christ? If so, well then fine. But it doesn't seem to me to be so, in the text. If the Bible could be simplified by our metric, then by all means it's well and good. But I don't see it. It's an oversimplification that ultimately needs so many exclusions and supporting clauses that it's really not worth the time it took to build it or hold it forth. Unless of course you're trying to sell books. That of course is different, then it's "cobweb city", baby! Rock on.

If you need "faith" to "experience Christ" then focus on the faith. If you look at the experience you'll sink just like Peter did.
I don't think it is wise to "focus on faith" as you have suggested. People in the world often say "keep the faith," which has little meaning at all, basically "hang in there," or "cheer up, things will improve." I contend that faith without believing in Jesus Christ is no faith at all, at least not the faith of Abraham our father, and the faith of the Bible. Believing in Jesus, especially in our times of need, is by definition an experience of Christ. Real believing is a seeking experience of God as Jeremiah says, "you will seek Me and find Me, when you seek Me with all your heart."

You mention the "dangers" of not "experiencing" God in a real way. This is a very real danger for us. The book of Hebrews was written entirely with this thought in mind. The Hebrew believers had little genuine experience of Christ, and consequently were drifting back to their ancient Jewish traditions. They had drunk the milk of the word, but not eaten the solid food, not having their spiritual faculties exercised to discern the good from the worthless. Sure they had what they thought were numerous "experiences" with their traditions and celebrations, but they lacked faith. The Hebrews lacked Christ as experience. Did they have Christ? Yes, initially, apparently, but were seriously deficient in the full knowledge of His Son. They needed healthy spiritual exercise! (Now if that don't create a forum stir!)

The Lord said, "Get away from me, all you workers of evil! I don't know you!" Isn't it interesting that the omniscient Lord, the creator of all, would say this? How in the world could He not know them? Obviously what they did, how they served, etc. was not proper, not knowing His will. They may have had a lifetime of "experiences," yet little experience of Christ, in order to bring about His approvals.