Thread: immuno_oncology
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
Ohio

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immuno_oncology View Post
I would like to list a few of them here and ask you all for advice on what to throw out.
Welcome immuno_oncology!

Now I've seen quite a few monikers in my day, but you have just won the award for most unique!

What to throw out? Good question!

The Lord Jesus told the disciples one day, "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees." They, of course, thought He was talking about bad bread. Instead He gave them good advice "on what to throw out." Many who have left the Recovery have thrown everything out, sadly, including even their faith in the Lord himself. Please don't do that. In the medical profession, perhaps you?, they encourage the patient to get a second opinion. Good idea!

I Thess 5.21 says to "test everything or prove all things, and keep or hold on to what is good." I have used this scriptural advice to weigh the teachings and practices of LSM. In other words, test for "leaven" and discard it. For example, since I am very familiar with my well worn Recovery versions, I would never throw them away. I refer to many footnotes which provide helpful information, but when these footnotes start looking like excerpts from some WL message, then I avoid them. When I visit with other Christians, however, I will normally use a different version to avoid controversies. I actually believe that the use of multiple versions (only the good ones, of course) is beneficial for us to know God's word.

The Recovery obsesses with their doctrinal knowledge. But how much do we need? I love to discover underlying riches in the word, but passing on second-hand trivia offers little personal excitement. It can be a little "fresher" in the beginning, but over time staleness gripped all of us. I faced the question regularly, "what do I do with this stuff?" There was only like 5 or 10 minutes a week where I could speak this stuff in the meeting. I had become thoroughly versed in the recondites, yet lacking in the very basics of Christian communication.

Do I "call on the Lord?" Yes I do, but not for show, and not without a believing heart. Do I "deny myself?" Yes, of course, what husband does not. Do I endorse the "three parts of man theory?" Not really, because that teaching has so many holes in it. (to be continued ...)