View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
Sons to Glory!

Default Re: Does the Bible say we are Sinners?

Yes we sin. But find a place where Paul calls us now "sinners." He may refer to himself as the "chief of sinners," but this is looking at himself in a most humble and repentant light because of how strenuously he persecuted the Lord (aka His church). No where does he identify us as sinners who have been born again.

What is then presented by in the New Covenant as the born again believer's identity? First of all, we are told various times that we are dead - crucified with Christ; a new creation. And not to look at the things we have died to, but rather to who we now are in Him. So in many ways, we are told that who we were is now crucified and that our old identity has been taken care of as we have been baptized into His death. We may not feel like our old self is dead and we may sin. But is that the reality of who we are, or is it what His word says about us?

And after this death in Him there is the "much more" of Romans 5, that is, once He has dealt with our old nature we are now ready to be filled with His life. Our rebirth is His life coming into us to make us a brand new creation in Him! Old things are passed away - BEHOLD I MAKE ALL THINGS NEW!

And we know that that which is born of God does not sin - so how come we still go off the mark so much? Romans 7 tells us that we do still have "the flesh" and that in it is sin and no good thing dwells there. But hallelujah, Romans 8:9 tells us clearly, "But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if it is so that the Spirit of God dwells in you." This tells us that you are not the flesh, but rather you are this new creation in Him!

So again, we may feel like sinners and want to identify with all the old thoughts and feelings as being who we really are (just an old sinner saved by grace), but what does the word say? "Put off the old (sinner) man" --- because that's not who we are! Think about it - what would happen if something had two competing identities and natures in them? It would tear itself apart. This is why the old nature is taken out of the way and nailed to the cross first. In faith we amen the word and say, "Thank you Lord my old man has been crucified with You! Help me, by Your awesome life in me, to live daily by this fact!"

If I may, the question that remains then, is why did God leave us with the sinful flesh?