View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
Drake

Default Re: My experience as a church kid: Why I want out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo View Post
The only problem is my immediate family is wholly involved with the church, and I don’t know how I would even tell my parents that kind of thing without sending them into cardiac arrest. My parents are also hinting about wanting me to go to the FTTA, and I honestly think I would go completely insane if I was subjected to that for an extended period of time. I only really go to the Sunday meetings when I’m with my parents, and even then, I find myself disgusted with the many of the underlying teachings. I want to clarify that I agree with many of the teachings in the Recovery, concerning things like the Divine Trinity, God’s Economy, etc. My major qualms are the teachings that seem to be base-less, hypocritical, or suppressing critical thinking, much like many have already pointed out.
Melo,

You seem to have a commendable respect for your parents therefore, you should have a heart to heart with them and let them know exactly how you feel and what you think. Of course they want what they think is best for their children but if you differ then the Lord will supply them to handle it. Yet even if it upsets them it would be not in your, their, or in the best interest of the other students in the FTT for you to participate considering how you feel about it at this time. They'll understand that. The first thing the Lord requires is an honest heart to Him and by extension to your parents.

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote