View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #86
Freedom

Default Re: Putting To Test The Recovery Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by testallthings
It seems that many Bible expositors agree that the Kingdom of God is larger (extending from eternity past to eternity future) than the Kingdom of the heavens. But they disagree on what the kingdom of the heavens is.
The following is how WL differentiated the kingdom of the heavens and the kingdom of God:
The kingdom of the heavens is a specific term used by Matthew, indicating that the kingdom of the heavens differs from the kingdom of God, the term used in the other three Gospels. The kingdom of God refers to God's reign in a general way, from eternity past to eternity future. It comprises eternity without beginning before the foundation of the world, the paradise of Adam, the chosen patriarchs, the nation of Israel in the Old Testament, the church in the New Testament, the coming millennial kingdom with its heavenly rule (the manifestation of the kingdom of the heavens), and the new heaven and the new earth with the New Jerusalem without end for eternity. The kingdom of the heavens is a special section within the kingdom of God, composed only of the church today and the heavenly part of the coming millennial kingdom. Hence, the kingdom of the heavens, a section of the kingdom of God, is also called the kingdom of God in the New Testament, especially in the other three Gospels. While the kingdom of God already existed with the nation of Israel in a general way in the Old Testament (21:43), the kingdom of the heavens had still not come in a specific way, but only drew near when John the Baptist came (3:1-2; 11:11-12).

Witness Lee, Life-Study of Matthew, Msg 13, Pg 168

I wouldn't go so far as to agree or disagree with what WL taught, because I don't presume to fully understand the difference between the two, but I do note that the two phrases are used interchangeably, in contrast to what WL taught:
Matt 19:23-24
Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” (NKJV)

In Luke, the same statement that Jesus made uses the phrase "kingdom of God" both times:
Luke 18:24-25 And when Jesus saw that he became very sorrowful, He said, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God! 25 For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” (NKJV)
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote