View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #56
Boxjobox
Moderated Member

Default Re: Bible as the Absolute Authority

We are all probably more than familiar with two verses that talk about the authority of the scripture 2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work. and Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it pierces even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It judges the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight; everything is uncovered and exposed before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

Coming to the LC in '74, My perception was that the scripture was given this authority, both in the individual and in the assembly. As time went on, this authority transferred to the WL/LSM speaking/publications. In my early times, I remember even joking with brothers about what WL would say- Don't say WL said that, say the Bible said that. But as time went on, all non LSM material disappeared and all speaking became WL/LSM. Eventually, what was profitable for teaching was only LSM. People were sized up, pierced and divided by what WL spoke.
When "the New Way" came in, the scripture became little more than a reference book. The "New Way" was a total departure from the authority of scripture to the authority of LSM. WL would speak of LSM as his ministry to "get the word of God out" , which actually was equating his words as authoritative scripture!

It is time for those who take the position of being "the Church" to examine what they really have become-subsidiaries of LSM. The term " the church in xxx" really means "LSM in xxx". I would urge those in this position to look at the history, look at from where you have fallen, return back to a common Christian bible, repent, clean house (disassociate with LSM) and return to the authority of the scripture. I remember in the early years, James Barber coming to our assembly and giving a history of the Lors's recovery. If James were alive today his historical account would have to now include how the "recovery" lost its way and degenerated into something worse than the poor, poor Christianity that was ridiculed back then.
Falling seems to be the way of man, repentance, turning from error back to God's truth is the way of real "recovery".
WL brought us the view of how to meet as the church- bravo for that, his early teachings helped guide the saints- very good, his speaking eventually overshadowed the scripture- not good!, his organization LSM took over control- very fallen!! A humble repentance, a genuine return to scripture, a rejection of the corrupting organization, can bring back the lampstands.
Boxjobox is offline   Reply With Quote