View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #56
Cal

Default Re: Christ is the Body, "the Body-Christ"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
Okay. How about this one in Acts 9: “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?” 5“Who are You, Lord?” Saul asked. “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” He replied.… (the football analogy could possibly be applied here too, I guess.)

But what about the phrase "In Christ" which appears nearly 100 times in the NT - what is the significance of the Holy Spirit using this so many times? Could the football team say, "We're in coach?"
When the Bible says we are "in Christ" it means we are identified with him. What he has accomplished is now ours.

When the Bible says what is done to us is done to Christ it means he identifies with us. He takes personally what happens to us.

It's all about relationships. It isn't about literally being "in" something or being someone. Focusing too much on the metaphysics of it can totally miss the point.

I used to get all caught in how I could live, yet not I, but Christ. We don't have to figure it out. I live now because Christ lives in me. He is my life. I don't need to imagine I've vanished or something. That's taking the whole thing too far by getting caught up in the literal words, and thereby actually missing the reality of it.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote