View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #100
aron

Default Re: Christ is the Body, "the Body-Christ"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
And, lest we get too lifted up, all of these point to what we shall be someday. And if we really compare ourselves to the Jesus Christ revealed in the gospels, we will see how much work He needs to do in us as well as where our real focus should be such as personal holiness, serving, and helping others, etc.
That last part really made sense, about serving and helping others etc. It seems to me that the Jewish religion held some attraction to the world, if you look at the frequent reference to "God-fearers" in the NT, in the Acts and gospels. The Roman Centurion was presented as a man that feared God, with his whole household.And Paul's synagogue gospel speeches usually made reference to "those of you who fear God", along with "you men of Israel".

Now, what attracted the Gentiles to the synagogues? Referents to ceremonies that they couldn't see (temple sacrifices)? Or a manner of living? Not just, "don't steal" and "don't kill". But also to remember the poor and the widow and the stranger among you. Not just "a fair weight and measure", but even forgiveness. I mean, what Iron-Age ethic would have a Jubilee?! But the Jews had it.

Now in this light we can consider Jesus' ethical teachings of mercy, love, compassion, forgiveness. Of giving generously and not hoarding for oneself.

And in this light we can remember his word that, "if you do it to the least of these, you do it to me." Jesus is not sick. Jesus is not in prison. But if we lower ourselves, humble ourselves, and consider others as better than we, even - gasp - the poor, the weak, the widows, the outcast, then Christ's spirit will meet us there, and testify that we are surely his disciples.

In this sense the "body" of collective of members is Christ and can be considered such. The worse off they are, and the less chance they will repay us in this age, the more we should pursue them. This is the testimony of the Son of God, now raised to glory, that we should care for those who by rights nobody should care for. But God cares. That is the core of the Jewish ethic and Jesus as God's Incarnate Word personified it. And now we endeavour to follow.

To me, the power of the "body" is that it invites, even compels me to consider my "neighbour"... yes, that one. The unlovable one. The unlovely one. The dreaded "other". To love them as I love myself. Because Christ has promised that he would meet me there. So I pursue.