View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #107
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Post Re: Questions about Daystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post
Does anyone know the names of the recruiters ? There should be a public record of this.
The only name I know for sure is Bob Bynum, now deceased. I don't remember him being called a recruiter. He was outside sales for Daystar. If you mean the names of the Daystar investment brokers, that would be the elders in your locality. It didn't happen at a church meeting, but it was in the meeting hall in a special Daystar meetings where they made their pitch.

I knew someone who worked in CA in the Daystar plant. The coaches were well built and full of class amenities. I had practically memorized the sales brochure. Bob Bynum showed me one of the coaches that had made a sales trip to Austin. The coach was in town at some kind of celebrity gathering. Reportedly Jack Nicholus was being courted as a prospect.

I was a Daystar investor. At the time, it seemed like the best way to show the elders that you were absolute. I was small potatoes, so I didn't lose much. I signed a document forgiving the debt because it seemed like the best way to show the elders that I was absolute.

There were quite a large number of saints in the "release of debt" meeting, We were told that WL was distraught over the failure of Daystar and the loss of the saints money. I remember one who had invested the money their parents had given them to pay for their college education. They could not sign the "release of debt" document and reportedly did recieve their money back. So there was some money to repay the saints who could not lose their investment. This begs the question, where did it come from? I have thought that if I were the one who took money from the saints and later I lost their money for whatever reason, I would repay them if it was the last thing I did on this earth. If I had a successful publishing company, proceeds from that operation would go first to repaying the debt I owed the saints. Ironically, in that scenario, the saints who lost money in Daystar would be the same ones buying books from LSM...in effect, paying themselves back.

As I said, my "investment" was totally self-serving. When it went down, we were told that the reason was the "oil crisis" when the price of gasoline went through the roof. I questioned this...to myself of course. It seemed to me that anyone who could afford to pay $70K for a motorhome could also afford to put gas in it...regardless of the price.

Because of the hype, failure was not an option. They certainly couldn't admit "we were wrong", so it was handy to blame the "oil crisis".

Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote