View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #105
OBW

Default Re: Favorite hymns of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
What are your favorite hymns to worship the Father?
I do like the doxology. I also like "Holy, Holy, Holy." While not entirely on the Father, I have enjoyed a setting in which the modern worship hymn "Revelation Song" (Worthy is the Lamb who was slain. Holy, Holy is He . . . .) moving straight into "Holy, Holy, Holy" loosing the band (piano only) for the first verse, then the rest (one or more verses, as desired) a cappella.

I think you may see that while I do not like choosing song styles for the purpose of the style, the manner of doing a song is often a secondary, but important part of the song.

If you like the song "Beautiful One" (a fairly upbeat song of the last decade or so), I do too. But several years ago, the music leader at the church I was attending eliminated the chorus, using the pre-chorus as the only chorus, and turned-down the tempo and intensity. Slightly altered the chords to include a couple of minors and you hardly realize it is the same song. And it is a positive change.

This link has several videos. One of them has become damaged (Praise to the Lord, the Almighty) and is only about half there. There are also a couple that were from a separate Thursday night modern worship venue that was hosted by the church but organized by others (although some of the "locals" were involved). Those are the "Mezzanine Floor" videos.

The list includes the Beautiful One and Revelation Song/Holy, Holy, Holy. There is also an original, "Kyrie (Lord Have Mercy)" that I have come to really appreciate. I never heard it live but only on the video.

Ignoring the more raucous Mezzanine Floor videos, you get a little glimpse of some recent history of worship that has influenced my thinking. And I am not saying I don't like the Mezzanine Floor stuff. Just not sure that it is always right for corporate worship — at least in the sense of the primary gatherings.