View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #146
kumbaya

Default Re: From a concerned parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Division is always about what's going on at an agreed-upon single church or organizational level. If you choose to join a church or organization, then within that group you should behave yourself according to understood rules. If you become a trouble-maker, then the leaders have the discretion to deal with you. But their authority only exists within that group, it doesn't carry outside.

If you have a problem with a group which can't be reconciled, go in peace and find one you can exist in. If you stayed there and remained a problem, that could be considered divisive. For example, if someone joins this board, they implicitly agree to abide by the rules of the board. If they make themselves a problem, then that is divisive. But if they leave that's not divisive. They just decided to move on. I mean, maybe we are really jerks here. Who are we or who is any church or organization to insist people stay?

So attempts to change a group from within almost by definition require the cooperation of leadership. If leadership won't change and you can't live with what they do, the best thing is to just move on. But they don't have the right to call you divisive because you left them. The world doesn't revolve around them, and God has called us to peace.

If I joined an LCM church and they found out I posted the things I post here, then I think they would have ground to say, "Look, if you want to meet with us we'd prefer you not do that." It would be unreasonable for me to insist they allow me to continue posting like I do while remaining a member. But it would just as unreasonable for them to say if I don't remain with them that I'm leaving God's will. (Of course, the LCM tends to do that, but they have no right to.)

The LCM always thinks anyone who crosses them is divisive. But maybe they are the divisive ones. Who makes the final call there? Eventually everyone has to follow their own conscience.

Like I said, God has called us to peace.

Well, two can play at that game. Just flip around what they say. You can do that all day.
I should have read all the excellent responses before chiming in! You guys are so right, being "divisive" is more about someone labeling you as that. Bringing up a concern over whether or not something is actually scriptural or biblical is exercising accountability, not being divisive! Unless you're truly not hoping for a peaceful outcome and know you're wrong/don't care- it can't be divisive. That's a heart matter and only God knows that. Need to read a little on the Plymouth Brethren, sounds interesting!
kumbaya is offline   Reply With Quote