View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #50
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Plumb the depths of Adoption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
It's a metaphor in my view because God is not constrained by human Roman adoption law. If it is not a metaphor then we should expect to see some sort of actual legal agreement or contract. Adoption is the metaphor.. assignment or inheritance is the meaning.
So then do you think that redemption is a metaphor?

Quote:
Adoption to become a son of God - this is the view I was talking about. You don't seem to be presenting this view so I wonder if we agree more than we disagree.
Adoption here is a legal term that refers to Jesus being made heir of all things. You are not guaranteed the status of an heir simply because you are the biological son of a man. Since being made an heir also means being made Lord of All, this is also part of the meaning. Surely Jesus enthronement that He is Lord of All and Heir of all things required a legal decree from God.

Quote:
Adoption is a metaphor for future assignment or inherit in the future - I think this is the understanding you are presenting although you disagree that adoption is a metaphor.
This is not future assignment of inheritance, it took place when Jesus ascended. The future tense refers to us, we will all be judged at the judgement seat of Christ.

Quote:
I think it is a fair statement, especially for Catholics, that many Christians
-think adoption applies to how they became a son of God, and not future assignment or inheritance.
-do not understand ancient Roman adoption law
I think many people do not fully understand this, nor do I think it is frequently taught, certainly not as often as other fundamental truths. Yet it is absolutely fundamental to prayer.

Quote:
Your "Let's be careful" post to JJ somewhat reinforces my view that this is not an easy topic and many Christians misunderstand.
Yes, it is another example of how we could not quite understand this or misstate it, but it was a very different example of what you have spoken of up to this point.