View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 AM   #38
Cal

Default Re: The Experience of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post

And having an analogy does not make it relevant.

And so the question stands.
An analogy is simply an illustrative tool. It's purpose is to make the point in a different way than plain vanilla explanation. Hopefully it helps shed some light on the idea the writer is trying to make. But, no, the fact that one can come up with a good analogy doesn't help prove the point, it just helps make the point. Jesus used analogies with parables. C.S. Lewis was great at using analogies to make his ideas clearly.

I never said that the fact that I can come up with an analogy proved my point. It seems a bit harsh for you to call an analogy irrelevant. The effectiveness of an analogy depends on the willingness of the reader to try to see the point the writer are making. A person who's mind is closed is going to be able to cook up a weakness in any analogy, if that's his goal.

I don't think most people are going to be tripped up or misled by saying "we need to experience Christ" any more than someone is going to be tripped up by saying "we need to buy some groceries." People can understand that it is general description of something that is worked out in specific ways.

There are two reasons saying experiencing Christ is proper. The first is because we need to be reminded that there is a difference between just thinking about Christ and actually encountering him. Since he's invisible it is easy to confuse the two. The second is that sometimes our experience of Christ is quite general, as when we are simply enjoying his presence. There is nothing in particular we are enjoying other than the fact that he is near and with us. Now you might say that then we need to say we are enjoying his presence and not say we are experiencing him. I would simply reply that you are being picky and unreasonable.

Also, I don't think that your argument that the scripture doesn't say we need to experience Christ holds any water. The idea is implied throughout scripture. It seems to me not being able to see that is a symptom of too much squinting and not enough common sense.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote