Thread: Modalism
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #154
OBW

Default Re: Modalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I don´t see where WL teaches modalism. 1 Cor. 15:45 says, "So also it is written, "The first Man, Adam, became a living soul." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit." (NASB). Of course, that is not the only verse in the Bible about God , but that is what that verse says. So what does it mean, and why (it seems) so few books or sermons or whatever talk about this?
Every time this particular verse comes up, I feel a little like Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride. "You keep mentioning that verse. I do not think it means what you think it means." (to paraphrase a bit)

The reason that there are not a lot of other writers who said what Lee says is that when you put the verse into its context, it is simply not talking about the Holy Spirit. The whole context is the kind of body that is received in resurrection. And Paul has been using the resurrected Christ as the example. He refers to the nature of Christ's resurrected body as "spiritual." He doesn't really give it a lot of definition. But the presumption is that the body that could be touched, yet could disappear and could enter a room with locked doors is the idea. It is not simply anything.

When Paul gets to the part that we lable verse 45, he is saying that Jesus first had a physical body like Adam, but in resurrection it became something different. He did not invoke the "Third" of the trinity simply because he said "spirit." God is spirit. The Father is spirit, the Son is spirit, and the Holy Spirit is spirit. "Holy Spirit" is the name of the third of the trinity. Everything of "spirit" is not subsumed into the Holy Spirit. So all of Lee's "there's just one spirit" talk is "simply" wrong.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote