Thread: OBW's Blog
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #64
OBW

Default Re: OBW's Blog

I don't mind a certain amount of politics. It is a topic I opine upon often (in other circles).

Ohio: Without taking a side in the liberal v conservative debate, you are forgetting that the liberal position could be entirely valid despite the corruption and lying of the current administration. I am fond of pointing out that I despise the attitudes and general meanness displayed by so many of the "spokesmen" for conservative positions that I like (exactly or at least generally). In a different way, I agree with awareness. Both sides have hypocrites. Both sides have corruption.

And while mostly a conservative, I am getting more and more disgusted at the push-back at virtually any kind of liberal position that gets into the areas of biblical "justice" yet are generally insisting that it is not the church's job to do such things. They refuse the command of God for themselves, and then fight against anyone else taking it over for them.

Fortunately, many evangelical and fundamental churches are beginning to see the error of their "no works - let the liberals do it" position on the poor, homeless, orphan, widows, etc. But not all. And when you read the rhetoric of the most vocal conservatives, they would simply tell the poor to get a job.
Well they passed a law in '64
To give those who ain't got a little more
But it only goes so far
Because the law don't change another's mind
When all it sees at the hiring time
Is the line on the color bar
No. I really don't like the idea that so much of what goes into welfare of one sort or another is demanded by those who have plenty and would rather that the "taking" get spread around among those who don't have as much. But I also would say that such things as Social Security should have been converted to true welfare years ago with a long transition for those who are already some years closer to retirement. It would have provided something for those who truly have too little while taking less from the rest. Then we could invest the difference as we see fit. I don't believe in the levels of entitlement that have been developed, but I believe that some kind of societal welfare is both inevitable and reasonable.

Just wish it could happen without a burdensome bureaucracy that takes more for itself than gets through to those in need.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote