View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #373
Awoken

Default Re: What is God's Economy?

aron, somewhat related, reading John 13 today with Wesley's Explanatory Notes; what I found amazing about Mr. Wesley's notes are his thoughts on verse 13:26. When John asked Him which of them was going to betray Him, he was "leaning back" or "leaning down" to speak to Jesus privately, and Jesus answered him privately that it would be the one to whom he gave the bread after he dipped it. This wasn't an open pronouncement against Judas but a secret told privately to John (if you compare this against the other gospels you see that Judas is never actually openly called out by the Lord, who rather just said "One of the twelve who dips his hand with me in the cup" - and only when Judas asked him directly (in Matthew 26) did he say, "You have said it").

Wesley's note:

"Jesus answered - In his ear. So careful was he not to offend (if it had been even possible) even Judas himself. The sop - Which he took up while he was speaking. He giveth it to Judas - And probably the other disciples thought Judas peculiarly happy! But when even this instance of our Lord's tenderness could not move him, then Satan took full possession."

Before this you have the scene of Jesus washing Peter's feet and then teaching the disciples to wash each others' feet - to exhibit humble, servile love to each other. I think even when He was extending the bread to Judas He may have been trying to show him servant-like love, even knowing Judas was going to betray Him. I always used to think Jesus handing the bread to Judas was a kind of pronouncement of guilt, now I think it was a last-ditch extension of mercy and hope that he would repent even when Christ knew it wasn't going to happen. It explains why the disciples were so confused about why Jesus said "What you do, do quickly" - they had no clue this exchange had taken place, so they thought He was telling Judas to go run out and get groceries or something. Can you imagine the heart of God?
Awoken is offline   Reply With Quote