View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #333
Ohio

Default Re: One Publication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
I recall one time as a kid I really liked a certain band. Very innocuous music, some unique and varied skills within the group, focused on the technical aspects and tight singing abilities, not sinful lyrics, etc. (Think, like, someone who plays a stringed instrument liking Yo Yo Ma's music). I got it in my head one day to see if I could get the band to play at a concert hall in my city. I got really pumped about the idea and was excited about something for the first time in a long time. I made the mistake of telling one of my parents my idea, thinking they'd share my excitement and support me. Wrong. What I received was a tight-lipped, "Trapped.....do you think the Lord would have you promote this band?"

I was crushed. I mean, crushed. I mean, internally obliterated. Searing shame. The excitement and light in my eyes that hadn't been there in so long anyway went out in a cold wind, and because the Lord was invoked I felt like I was such an evil and sinful person for just wanting to make a few phone calls to some venues to suggest this cool group. This greatly affected my view of God for years and years and years. Along with all the other subtle and overt messages in the church I received that God didn't like to see me smile, this cemented it.
Trapped, thanks much for sharing your testimony here. (Perhaps on the Intro threads it would be more visible to help others like yourself.)

Your story also has tremendous value to help others like myself understand what happened to our children, the lost 2nd generation, who seemed to only receive endless laws and legalism, rather than a living faith, trust, and love towards our heavenly Father.