View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #101
InChristAlone

Default Re: The Orthodox Church

Again, brothers, I am sorry for my late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
I wished I had more time to "soften" my tone, but those points have been on my heart.

InChristAlone, I understand your affinity for the EOC, and have no intention to diminish your liberties to follow the Lord where He has led you, yet it seems you are much too idealistic about your church.

In saying that, you have to realize that I have become a bit skeptical of church organizations, having been burnt too many times in the past by those claiming to be the one true church.

Grace to you.
Thank you, Ohio. Your tone is fine with me. I know you have reasons to be skeptical. As for me, I have a different experience. I have never been burnt.

I believe in the claim that the EOC is the Church because the claim has historical (apostolic succession), theological (Ecumenical Councils), and spiritual grounds (through lives of ancient and modern saints).

- The history of the Orthodox Church is traced back to Jesus Christ and the Apostles. The Apostles appointed successors, known as bishops, and they in turn appointed other bishops in a process known as Apostolic succession. (Wikipedia)

As for the Liturgical service, I do love its concentration, depth, and prayerfulness. It’s boring for those who are not praying. But if you understand what is going on, if you are praying or signing the hymns from the bottom of your heart, then it is a different thing.

The beauty of Orthodox worship must be experienced to be understood. The Divine Liturgy expresses the entire Christian faith in a continuous song of praise and prayer addressed to God. It is focused on God, not on us. There is nothing just for amusement or entertainment. Since much of the service is the same every week, worshippers know it and can participate personally, either by singing along or by prayerful attention. Worshippers are surrounded by icons (images of Christ and the saints), which remind us that while on earth, we are participating in the worship of God with all the angels and saints who are in heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
I have read of groups of believers breaking away from the EOC, to follow the Lord and break free from extra-Biblical and unending traditions. It has not always been as peaceful and unified as you portray. In fact, sorry to say, the EOC leaders have often cooperated with the authorities to snuff out many so-called "splinter groups" over the centuries.
Definitely not in the Soviet times because the Church was under persecution. Besides, those people didn't try to reform the Church. They didn't have a new vision. As far as I know, they had been influenced by Protestantism. (But also there are a number of Protestants who converted into Orthodoxy. I doubt they were so naive just to follow some old and non-Biblical traditions).

The total number of Christian victims under the Soviet regime has been estimated to range between 12-20 million. Most of them were Orthodox Christians. The communists took priests, monks and ordinary believers to an abyss, put the guns to their heads and asked, "Do you believe in God?" The answer "No, I don't" could save their life. But the majority chose another answer, "Yes, I do".

Ohio, I am not trying to convince you that the EOC is the body of Christ. I know that is impossible to do. At least for me. My wife is an active member of the LRC. It hurts because our marriage lacks of spiritual unity. But no, I can’t prove her anything.

The Russian Orthodox priest Pavel Florensky who was executed by the Communists in 1937 said, "Истина не доказуется, а показуется". It means "It is easier to show truth than to prove it". So, I would just say “Come and see” (John 1:46).

Grace to you, brother.