View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #409
Freedom

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
But there must also be other reasons that keep people in the LC, besides those staying for the perks of leadership. Maybe, for example, lack of education. Or maybe indoctrination from a Christian upbringing, that clouds their vision from seeing thru the illusionary "Vision." Or maybe lack of critical thinking. That would do it. In other words, they are mentally trapped, for some reason(s). And that's sad for them. Obviously they are in need of intervention, and deprogramming.
There are a lot of reasons people stay, after all the LC is a system designed to keep people in. One example that comes to mind is when I was a college student and struggling financially, a LC member came to me and offered me significant financial assistance. At first, it sounded like an offer I should take that person up on. The more I thought about it, however, the more I realized that I needed to work things out on my own (which I did). I understood the implications, the feelings of "indebtedness" it would create, and I had no idea if there were any motives behind the offer.

I think situations like what I described are ways people can get trapped. It's not always so simple. It could be a brother giving another brother a job. It could be living in close vicinity to numerous other LC members. Anything that makes it hard to have an escape route once someone realizes they want out.

There are other reasons too. I've seen cases like your friend you described; recovering alcoholics, or people with significant personal problems. They tend to need community, and the LC can provide that. The LC also provides a soapbox (open meetings) where people can stand up and tell everyone about their problems. Maybe they see the LC as a better alternative to things like support groups and AA meetings. Unless there is something that meets the needs of these kinds of people better, they are going to stay. Like Rayliotta has said before, there is somewhat of a "revolving door". Some people are in for the LC for a while, then they disappear for a few months to a year, and as sure as the sun, they are back in eventually.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote