View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #39
OBW

Default Re: Signs of a Non-Starter in the Polemic Writings of Nigel Tomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Igzy>Well, you have a point. But that doesn't help LSM's problem of declining interest in Lee at all, does it?

What decline? Post 28 from Unregistered shows a 4X increase over a 14 year period in membership in Europe. Even if those direct stats are ignored (there is no reason to ignore it but some people will anyway) it does not change my challenge to Tome's use of an internet search engine to draw his conclusion about interest/disinterest or membership in the local churches..... Google Trend is a single data point.
You fail to note that a 4x increase is a relatively insignificant thing when the starting point is near zero. In all of Europe, to have only amassed 3,000 in 85 cities during a period in which much of Europe was only shortly before closed to any such attempts at religious contact is not significant. It is a little like counting the effects of taking a potato-bag full of crushed lava from Hawaii and scattering it over a major portion of the Sahara. The numbers of grains of lava-sand are greatly up, but hardly noticed. Meanwhile, the number of churches in those same parts of Europe have increased like the number of participants in the LRC. And they do not pretend to be the only churches around, or that there was no church, or Lord's table until their group was there.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote