Thread: OBW's Blog
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #48
OBW

Default Christ is Everything — I am not

Quote:
"Feed my sheep. Feed my lambs. Shepherd my sheep." Those were the Lord's words to us all, clearly.
Is it really clear that it is to everyone? We like to think it is. Or alternately, some people like to assert that it is to everyone.

But is it really true? Or just thought of as true because everyone says it is?

I'm not diminishing the actual charges that are laid at each of our feet. But despite years of hearing "no clergy-laity" shouted by and to us, there is strong evidence that Jesus said certain things to everyone, a lesser amount to the large group of regular followers, and still a smaller body of things to the 12/11.

And when we read Paul and others, they also suggest the same things.
They indicate that there are teachers. If everything is to everyone, then we should teach ourselves.

They indicate that certain ones build while others are the result of that building. And there is a high price for using poor materials in building.

Certain ones have gifts supplied so that the rest of us can be equipped to do our part in ministry.
Don't anyone get their panties in a wad over this. I'm not trying to shirk what is my responsibility and charge. But not everything is charged to everybody. And the charge to Peter was said specifically to Peter, and only in the presence of a few. I do not deny that there is an aspect of feeding that occurs among all believers. But Jesus had a larger charge for his closest apostles. He took them aside and sent them to preach the gospel to the all the world. To baptize and to instruct in the commands of Jesus.

No. It would be impossible to say that "feed my sheep" does not apply to us all at some level. But I believe it is equally impossible to say that the charge that was being spoken to Peter was something that was clearly spoken to us all in the same way that it was spoken to Peter.

Yes, there is a royal priesthood — a kingdom of priests — but I think we over-apply the meaning of that metaphor when we insist that everybody is everything. That we all do it all and have been charged in that way.

As I said, I'm not trying to excuse my lacks. I'm trying to discover what it is that is really a command to me so that I can quit beating myself up for failure to be Peter, or John, or Paul. And instead find myself one of the multitude that sat at their feet for teaching then went back to family, community, and work to live the life that we were made for — to bear the image of God in all that we do.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote