View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Nullification of the function of the body members

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
My point on a straw man is that it involves gross oversimplification and misrepresentation. If WL said, "In Christianity, the function of the members of the body has been nullified", we imagine a church full of people sitting quietly while a paid clergy member gives them a speech. This is in fact what happens with WL's ministry. We all sat quietly and said nothing while he gave speeches. Afterward, we lined up next to the microphone and read portions of the outline. Is that functioning? Was that why God put me in the body?
That wasn't my experience. His ministry was for 50 years. That may have describe the last couple of years, but I was in the FTTT in 1987-1995, which would certainly have to be considered part of his ministry, and this doesn't in any way describe the experience.

Quote:
Or, home/college/small group meetings. How is that different than when I went to someone's house and we watched a Joyce Meyer video, and we talked about it afterward? Aren't these Christians functioning just like the ones at the 'local church' home meeting who collectively read a chapter from WL's "Life Lessons"? Or who watch a streaming video from Anaheim?

Or riding together in a car to a conference. How inherently superior is it, really, to the IHOP fellowship at some Baptist or Presbyterian church?
Who said it was superior? While in Odessa we used to get together Saturday morning at one of these Christian breakfast fellowship meetings at a town about 45 miles from Odessa. Getting up early with a car load of brothers, driving to a small town and fellowshipping with other brothers meeting in Christian churches was an excellent experience. No one said it was superior to any other fellowship.

Quote:
In order to make an argument, WL had to create a grossly oversimplified mental construct which in no way matched the complexity of what is actually taking place on the street. If he did, he's see it didn't look all that different from his own system.
That in a nutshell is why I object to these statements. They are a gross oversimplification that in no way matched the complexity of my experience in the LRC. Although you could argue that no one ever encouraged saints to go traveling to visit and fellowship with other Christians, I always reasoned that this was a matter of growth. When you speak to the entire congregation it includes those who are newly saved. I was in fellowship with many others in the church (Houston, Odessa, NY) so they knew what I was doing. No one in authority ever discouraged me from these activities.

Quote:
One real weakness in my argument is that I can't quote you chapter and verse from some WL speech or book where he said, "In Christianity, the function of the members of the body has been nullified". But I heard it often enough so that I can repeat his words with some confidence. I heard this point made repeatedly; it was part of his "Christianity is pitiful" mantra.
I will cede the fact that "pew sitting" was generally bashed in the LRC. However, that cannot be equated to listening to a speaker, as we did that all the time. What we saw as a fundamental difference was that in most meetings of the LRC there was a good opportunity for anyone/everyone to speak. Usually they had at least 15-30 minutes at the end of a meeting. However, speaking in a church meeting was not something that I had ever experienced previously in my experience in Christianity. Home meetings, non denominational churches, and inter denominational fellowship are all practices that have grown dramatically in the last 30-40 years. Perhaps the ministry of WL and WN should be given some credit for this development, at the very least it should be noted that Christianity has moved closer to the expression propounded by WL and WN.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote