View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #84
awareness

Default Re: "God died on the cross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
You're clearly out of your depth. Here is a quote by John Calvin that supports the use of the early church fathers:

If the contest were to be determined by patristic authority, the tide of victory — to put it very modestly —would turn to our side. Now, these fathers have written many wise and excellent things. . . . [Yet] the good things that these fathers have written they [the Roman Catholics] either do not notice, or misrepresent or pervert. . . . But we do not despise them [the church fathers]; in fact, if it were to our present purpose, I could with no trouble at all prove that the greater part of what we are saying today meets their approval.

Source: John Calvin, “Prefatory Address to King Francis I of France,” The Institutes of the Christian Religion, Section 4.
Oh no! You are not standing on that murderer John Calvin. Surely not. Calvin was protestant in name only. He not only embraced Roman Catholic ideologies, and the book they canonized, like them he also burned heretics at the stake, like Michael Servetus.

Out of my depth? Who are you kidding? I can swim in the deep end of orthodoxy, like you, but prefer cleaner waters. Those guys still believed in a flat earth, and that they were the center of the universe. They were all ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
You are despising the early church fathers. Calvin, Luther et al did not do that, but used the "wise and excellent things" that they wrote.
Despising the early church fathers? I never thought of it that way. But perhaps you are right. I do say that they were human. And that's the worse thing you can say about anybody.

I do appreciate all your efforts tho, to prove your point. Please keep on trying. But you'll never get past the laughter ... busting out ... when you say, "God died on the cross."

I got an idea. Use Nietzsche to support your claim. He's better than Calvin.