View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #68
HERn

Default Re: Against the social gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koinonia View Post
Igzy, the problem is that you are conflating unrelated things. I live in a low-income area. My neighbors have genuine difficulties--mental problems, addictions, poverty, etc. My wife and I, after having left the LC, now go out of our way to help these people (spiritually, psychologically, physically). Which is very different for us given our LC background. Yet, the Lord has shown us that this is real, and He has put this desire in our hearts. We genuinely want to counsel people on the front stoop, or help take care of people's children, or intervene when there are arguments, or offer meals, etc.

However, I have no desire to acquiesce to the expectations of religious leaders who believe that God expects me to "tithe" a certain percentage of my income to a 501(c)(3) corporation that will spend (at least) half of that money maintaining its own existence.

Again, if people wish to do that, it's really fine with me. But it should not be called "tithing," and it should not be imposed on people as "giving."

There really is a difference. Can you understand that?
You and your wife are that hands and feet of Christ in that neighborhood. I would like to grow into that.