Thread: Evangelicalism
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
awareness

Default Re: Evangelicalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxjobox View Post
It seems to me that evangelicalism has become, for the most part, a Christian entertainment business. Hired pastor, or pastor that starts their own business, music ministry, staging, feel good, feel god, please the crowds, good snacks and build up your audience. Evangelical Christian music and videos a big business, books on self help and what God will do for you, even now gather around the campfire stories based in the gospel.
I thought when I arrived at the LC in the mid 70’s that I found the real deal, only to see it turn into a business.
A few years back I wanted to find an Indian mound in Land Between the Lakes here in Kentucky. The Forest Service won't tell where they are at.

So in my little Nissan Sentra I started driving the dirt roads in LBL, thinking to find one. But my little car couldn't navigate very far, so I gave up.

On my way out I ran into a couple of guys in a Hummer. I told them where I was trying to get, and they said hop in. Nothing could stop that Hummer, except a big tree blocking the road. Well the driver got a chainsaw from the roof, cut the tree up so it would lay flat on the ground and drove over it.

Eventually we made it to where a mound was suppose to be, but could find it. The driver said we needed to come back in the winter, when the foliage lost all its green.

Then the driver got out of the Hummer, and opened his arms and said, "now this is God's country." I said, what about the churches? He said, God isn't in them. They're just businesses. I conceded that he was right, and opened my arms to God.

The driver didn't claim to be any kind of Christian, but he loved God in nature. Me too. Evangelicalism be damned.