View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #29
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default Re: How has the LRC affected your view of "Babylon?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGodAlone View Post
This was a question that I've wondered over the past few months. From the way some of you post, it seems as though you have a disdain for both the LRC and "mainstream" Christianity as well. I'm not saying that "regular" churches are not without flaws or anything like that, but from what I've read, it just seems as though a few of you have retained the LRC dislike of non LRC churches.

That being said, I was wondering how has being in the LRC affected your views of denominational (and non-denominational) churches? If I recall correctly, some people had an issue with the pastoral system or the elder system or something like that, but maybe I am confusing that with another place.
Man oh man, ToGodAlone, didn't think you'd get such boisterous and diverse response did ya? Of course, you've been around here a while now, so I guess you know how we ex members roll...we were so cooped up for so long without any outlet to express our opinions...well sometimes we just get a little aggressive with our newfound freedom. (even though some of us have been out for years, at least speaking for myself, we still don't handle prosperity very well)

In any event, I think you can see that there is not really a monolithic way we all look at mainstream Christianity or the pastoral system as you call it. Some of us have eventually found our way back into what we used to know as "Christianity", in many of it's different forms and formats. I know of a few ex Local Churchers who have actually returned to the Catholic Church (gasp) Some ex members have, for many and diverse reasons, chosen to refrain from attending mainstream (or mainline) Christian churches. I think John has given a very clear and reasonable reason for his stance regarding this matter, and I hope he will expand upon this when he gets a chance.

For me personally, my "views of denominational (and non-denominational) churches" have evolved greatly over the past 15+ years that I've been out of the Local Church. I think this might be a function of the fact that Evangelical Christianity has itself evolved greatly (for the better mostly) over the past 20 - 30 years. Many of the tired, old religious/philosophical traditions have been discarded for a fresh and renewed turn towards the Word of God, and along with this turn has come a revival of true worship. It seems to me that God is taking the different man-made "streams" (traditional, conservative, pentecostal/charismatic, etc), taking what is biblical and profitable from each, and infusing a little of each in The Body of Christ. Time will tell I guess.
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote