View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 05:15 AM   #10
Dave

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayliotta View Post
I beg to differ. Anybody who knows what it's like to be influenced/effected/affected/turned upside down (some might even call it brain-washed) in Witness Lee's church -- has a place to be talking about it.

There are so (so, so) many who have left the Recovery and left the Christian faith altogether. (I'm not even going to touch the debate re the "legitimacy" of the Unitarian denomination.) If anything, some of us may have more of a place to speak of these things, because we've been thrown "further afield" from what we once knew.

And that oughta be of interest to anyone who's interested in the Lord's Recovery, it seems to me.
I agree with Ray on this. Also, I guess people have never heard of the UU Christian Fellowship http://www.uuchristian.org/ In addition, I have outlined my journey several times on this forum.

Ohio has stated that although I spent 8 years (very active) in the LC, spent nearly three years in Bible College studying the OT and NT but because I don't hold to his specific beliefs I shouldn't post on this forum and I don't understand the teachings of WL or WN. Where does he come up with this stuff? Also I have previously noted that once I left the LC I worked with Ministers in the AOG teaching the Bible and I worked with other denominations for a couple years. After that I focused on my career and family since I couldn't in good conscience continue to work in the Christian community.

If someone was seriously involved in the LC they have encountered problems of some nature since they left. You can't escape it. Read the book Snapping. Actually I think I am one of the fortunate ones as I have heard about the problems of others who have left. I am comfortable where I am and I am not going to allow someone like Ohio who knows little about me define what I believe. It baffles me since Ohio is now an expert on UU that he doesn't realize that you could be a Christian and be involved with our denomination. Why, because we don't have a creed which defines a person's beliefs when they walk in the door. Of course, I don't even know if Ohio actually attends a church or is actively involved in a church as I am. For all I know he doesn't attend church but is like a lot of so-called Christians---Bible couch scholars---don't give their time to church but think they know it all. Unless you are involved in your faith at your church with others your opinion is certainly disconcerting. Remember---in Revelations---it is better to be HOT or COLD or Jesus will spew you out of his mouth.

Ohio uses this quote, "Neopagan, Native American, and pantheist spiritualities" to apparently scare everyone but outside of some curiosity of native American writings I have never read about any of those ideas nor do I care to. As I have stated elsewhere, I have an open Bible (NRSV) sitting in front of me all of the time and I use it frequently.

What I like about the UU is the freedom of belief within the limits of the basic principles which most everyone can agree with e.g. the worth and dignity of every person. I just can't buy into any church that tells me I have believe what they say or else I am not welcomed or a church that tries to shove their ideas down your throat. I just don't see the difference between those churches and the LC although the LC was just more extreme.

It's hard for me to understand how Jesus would have wanted to establish the Christian churches we have today. How can this mess we call Christianity be defended? It was divided almost immediately in Acts and consolidated to some degree at the time of Constantine but has remained significantly divided since then even among Evangelicals.

Most Christians seem to believe that when they die they go to heaven to be with Jesus and their loved ones. However, that is not taught in the NT. Until Jesus returns nothing is going to happen. Everyone will remain in their graves. Guess what, is Jesus returning? Hasn't happened in 2000 years but I know Christians say, any minute now. It's all a matter of faith and that's great but it would have been nice for the Apostles or Jesus to give us a little forewarning that it could be up to two to three milleniums before he returns.