View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #29
awareness

Default Re: "God died on the cross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
Luther said:

UNLESS GOD is on the balance and throws his weight as a counterbalance, we shall sink to the bottom of the scale. If it is not true that God died for us, but only a man died, we are lost. But if God's death and God lie dead in the opposite scale, then his side goes down and we go upward like a light or empty pan. But he could not have sat in the pan unless he became a man like us, so that it could be said: God dead, God's passion, God's blood, God's death.
Martin Luther, quoted in the Formula of Concord

Awareness you sent Luther to alt. Views
. LOL.
Oh no!!! Luther must be rolling over in his grave. I understand where Luther is coming from, but his premise is wrong. God sent his son to die for the sins of the world. And the father Jesus prayed to was not the father that went to the cross ; "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

But I do understand that, without divine intervention -- incarnation for example - we humans don't have any hope. I just don't think it required the death of God the Father.

Good quote from Luther tho. Luther wrote a lot of things. He would even write home to mother about his turds.