View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #86
Ohio

Default Re: An Outsider's Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suannehill View Post
I remember the push for marriage in Cleveland...to me it looked like too many young brothers considering themselves spiritual giants...and older brothers knowing that marriage can correct that in ALL of us...LOL
It just makes me sick looking back at how impulsively marriage was entered into. Immature elders promoting and hastening marriages without proper courtships, all expedited by WL's mandate of "no dating." Many of us were told specifically by elder L.C. in Columbus, "the church doesn't have time for weddings, just do something simple to satisfy your family."

So many important decisions were made with short term gains in view. So many important decisions were made without sufficient time to know the Lord's mind. My church was filled with zealous lieutenants wanting to decide the lives of younger brothers and sisters. Quite a far cry from WN's careful instruction concerning marriage.

The atmosphere of that church had little sympathy for those who spent time with their wives or children. Things like that had to be done in secret. No vacations were allowed in those early days. I remember the sense of outrage I felt when I learned one leader took his kids to the amusement park. He told us never to go, but since I had the class with his kids, I couldn't help to hear them talk about going. Hypocrisy anyone?