View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #659
JJ

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
JJ, "one church one city" is one of many things described in some places of the Bible but not prescribed. There are a number of places (cities) where it did not occur.

Acts 9.31 Church is singular for a region rather than plural churches.

Colossians 4.15-16 indicates that there was a church in Laodicea and also a church in the house of Nymphas.

Paul's letter to the Romans also identifies a church in the house of Prisca and Aquila. (16.5)

I Corinthians 16.9 identifies another church in the house of Prisca and Aquila.

Now we heard for years that these house churches were "one city one church" meeting in a house, but this is questionable and not definitive.
Good points, Ohio. It doesn't say what the churches in the houses called themselves, does it? I only presume they were part of "the church" in their city. But, I still don't see where a church called itself something else other than the church in that city.

I do agree that the oneness, is the oneness of the Spirit as described in Ephesians, which we have and must be diligent to keep as we bear one another in love. Ephesians also has the oneness of the faith and full knowledge of Christ that we all attain to. I'm not aware of the "oneness of the teaching".

Last edited by JJ; 02-27-2016 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote