View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #80
Evangelical

Default Re: Christ or faith the Savior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A little brother View Post
But then this I don't understand. What is the point of being in the spirit if we don't/can't follow its anointment that teaches us what is right or wrong?
You must be thinking of this verse:

1 John 2:20 But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.

1 John 2:26 gives the context:
These things have I written to you concerning them that seduce you.

So verse 20 is specific and not a general claim that the anointing will teach us everything.

If we look at verse 21 and 22 we can find what sort of knowledge/teaching he is talking about:

I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.

Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.

So in context, it means that we don't need anyone to teach us that Jesus is the Christ because we have the Holy Spirit. The anointing teaches about Christ. There is no reason to think it should teach about doctrine such as Calvinism or whether we should keep the Sabbath.

For this we have Scripture:

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

and teachers:

James 3:1 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,

Acts 18:26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.

For these reasons I do not expect the anointing to teach about this - "WL/LSM's teachings are very wrong" - that is what Scripture is for.

But the anointing does teach that "Jesus is Lord" because this is about Christ.

Even if you disagree that the anointing's teaching is limited (to Christ), you can at least see that the Bible speaks of Scripture and teachers as being our teacher. It is not only the anointing that God gave for teaching. We could add the moral conscience and Creation in there as well for "teachers" (Romans 1:20), and also parents/elders (Proverbs 22:6).

And if the anointing was some kind of safeguard against wrong doctrine, teachers would not need to be judged with greater strictness (according to James 3:1) and the scriptures would not need to warn about false teachers and prophets (any teacher or pastor or prophet could say whatever false doctrine they wanted without consequence because everyone is taught the right thing by the anointing in them).

I suggest that the reason Christianity is divided today into hundreds of denominations is because the anointing does not teach us everything. If it did there would be no need for theologians or bible commentaries or Christian books.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote