View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Nullification of the function of the body members

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
Of course it wasn't your experience. I used a gross oversimplification (my forte, I know). But I think it plays into my point about WL's characterization of 'Christianity' having 'nullified the function of the members of the body'. I think quite a few (millions?) of the members of the body meeting with 'Christianity' could reply to WL, "That wasn't my experience."

WL did. That was the thrust of the 'pitiful Christianity' theme. WL was presenting us with a superior mousetrap. Supposedly, in his system, the members of the body functioned, unlike elsewhere. My thesis is that his characterization of 'pitiful Christianity' was grossly in error, and at the very least what shortcomings were and are in 'Christianity' could be applied as well to his vaunted 'local church life'.

WL in this instance reminds me of the guy who begged for forgiveness when found short, then turned around and started choking his neighbor who owed him. See e.g. Matt 18:21-35.
My concern is that we see there is error and so assume it was all in error. Wycliffe felt that everyone should be able to read the Bible. At the time he translated the Bible it was illegal to do so, and for his crime he was ultimately deemed a heretic and his bones burned (occurred years after he died). I think we would all agree that Wycliffe was right, that keeping the Bible from the Body will nullify their function, and that putting the Bible into their hands will support their function.

However, this was not a "magic bullet". 700 years later we are complaining about "nullifying" the function of the Body even though every member had the word of God in their hands. It was right to put the Bible into everyone's hands, it was wrong to think that this would be the end of the spiritual warfare over the function of the Body.

Many of the reformers had light that was based on freeing the Body to function to a greater extent, yet years later the denominations carrying their names are, to some extent, nullifying their function. This doesn't mean that we aren't justified by faith, or that their isn't a presbytery, it just means that the spiritual battle continues. These doctrines are not some kind of magic formula.

Yes, WL's arrogance is worthy of rebuke. Yes, he pointed one finger at Christianity and didn't realize the other 3 were pointed at himself. But that doesn't mean there isn't truth to the idea of "whenever we come together each one has...".

To me the error is the thought that "godliness is a means of financial gain". The error is "making merchandise of the saints". It is the error of Balaam, becoming a prophet for hire. The denominations and established Christian churches are huge business. There is a single Episcopal church in Manhattan (I am referring to a single congregation, not the entire denomination) which has their funds handled by a Wall Street firm, this account is worth billions of dollars, growing tax free (Trinity Church disclosed assets in excess of $2 billion in 2011 during a lawsuit). The money in these "churches" is without any question in my mind the single most damaging aspect to their testimony. You can see the same error in WL's ministry.

Everyone comes up with ways to justify it. We need a training center. Really? Did that do any good? We'll have all these books in print and then when the tribulation comes all the believers who are left behind will realize they were in error and then they will come and get the LSM books.

The money is the root of all sorts of evil in LSM, LRC and to a much larger extent in Christianity.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote