View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #330
Steel
Moderated Member

Default Re: What is the boundary of the Local Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Surely. Did you read Matt 18? There is no reference in that chapter to those who were offended by the Lord's speaking. Obviously there are different situations. If you are having trouble distinguishing between the two then bring up the verse that is giving you trouble.
So are you saying that the Lord caused others to become offended?... That the Lord was the cause of their becoming offended?

And I didn't speak about the Lord causing anyone to be offended in reference to the scripture from Matthew... But in reference to what you said that I quoted above my reference to the Lord causing anyone to be offended.

Go back and read it again... And if you are having trouble understanding my point let me know and I will try and explain it some more to you.

Quote:
Obviously not part of the context of Matt 18. But let's suppose we did have a new one offended by something that was spoken in the meeting. They should go privately to the one who spoke and talk to them. But since they are a new one, a "little brother" then it may be they will simply be stumbled and leave. In that case you should seek them out to fellowship.
But how would you know to seek them out if they didn't tell you they were offended?

Two weekends ago I spoke something in a meeting that caused an older member to become offended. I didn't know, but as my wife and I were getting into our car to leave this brother was walking by and I said "Amen brother" and he just scowled at me... So I pressed... And said even louder, "Amen brother."

He continued walking as if he didn't hear me but then stopped and turn around and came back to me. He looked at me and said in an offended way that I had caused confusion because after he had spoken telling a young one that he had brought that consecration only requires saying "Lord Jesus", I then got up and said "I will tell you what consecration is... It is knowing God, and knowing who God is in our lives."

My speaking this had offended him because he thought it would confuse the young person he had brought to the meetings.

I just said "Amen brother, the Lord knows" and left it at that.

I fully believe that the Lord is able to work out all things ZNPaaneah, if we simply trust in Him to do so.

Quote:
In either case we should now be having a discussion with this saint about the offense. It may be they were offended by the truth. Perhaps if we "speak the truth in love" that will restore the situation. Perhaps even after the fellowship they are still offended. In that case they should take one or two more that they do respect, explain to them their offense and perhaps those two or three can explain it to this one. Ohio referred to this as one of the safeguards from this chapter.
Okay.

Quote:
Your conclusion that truth should not be spoken lest we offend is not a balanced interpretation of scripture but rather taking a word in Matt 18 out of context, applying it to a completely different context. I think this is what Peter referred to as those who twist what the scripture says.
Things is... I didn't conclude that... I simply put it forward as a contrast to what I fully believe we should at all times do... Which is speak the truth in love... Just as scripture tells us to do.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote