Thread: Eldership
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #36
YP0534

Paul's appointment of elders is certainly a point that we plainly have before us in this thread. It has been repeatedly mentioned, in fact, by me. But I sure don't want to have a practice like the synagogues did, which, I believe, is what the Roman Catholics have done and which, to my appreciation, has been practiced via one type of hierarchy or another throughout all the centuries of Protestantism as well.

I am not able to find the word "eldership" in the Bible, though, and this is causing me problems at present. So many use this word as if they know what it means, but I do not. I would like to understand this idea as revealed in the Bible itself. I am aware that some denominations teach that elders and bishops are different and I am not ready to just assume they are the same things, as taught by the Local Church. I have gotten to know that the Local Church is not right all the time.

Thus, I cannot find the word "eldership" to refer to an office or position in the New Testament and I cannot equate overseers and elders to say that "overseership" just means "eldership" as some apparently do.
Let each walk as the Lord has distributed to each, as God has called each, and in this manner I instruct all the assemblies. 1 Cor. 7:17

Last edited by YP0534; 09-17-2008 at 04:14 PM.
YP0534 is offline   Reply With Quote