View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #876
HERn

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVee View Post
For a couple of weeks now, I've been thinking about this basic question, "How much to throw out?" My thought has been in the context of those whom I have known that have discovered errors in the particular movement through which they were either saved or brought up.

For example, the requirement of baptism for salvation, and the need to maintain good works to keep one's salvation (Church of Christ). If you are truly saved, you must speak in tongues, and you need to avoid certain conspicuous sins to retain your salvation (Pentecostalism). Infant baptism (Presbyterianism). Any heady dogmatic stand on last things (many groups) or a complete ignorance of last things (Methodism). Sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. I could list many more.

Whatever your church background and the shocking, disheartening spiritual injuries you have suffered, let me suggest that you retain the following incomplete list.

1 - Christ. This may seem self evident, but you can become so shaken that you don't know if you can believe anything. Take your eyes off of the horizontal (people and movements) and fix them on the vertical (Christ). He lives.

2 - the Bible - you can understand most of the Bible if you read a decent modern translation often enough and long enough. The main things are the plain things. Pray for the Holy Spirit to illuminate the Bible for you, but don't expect novel ideas or a unique revelation that no one else has noticed. There will be many things that are new to you, however if you read the entire Bible.

3 - whatever else keeps you from the lusts of the flesh, the lusts of the eyes and the pride of life. (1 Jn 2:15-17) Christian liberty is not libertine to the chagrin of most modern churches. Many things are permissible, but not all things are profitable for your walk with Christ. Going back to point 1, if you would retain Christ, imitate Him, don't react to those who have hurt you lest you be like them. As a man thinks so is He.

Suzannah Wesley offered the following definition of sin, "Whatever weakens your sense of reasoning, impairs the tenderness of your conscience or obscures your sense of God, or takes away your relish for spiritual things. In short, if anything increases the authority and power of the flesh over the Spirit that to you becomes sin, however good it is in and of itself."

I have known some, having been injured or discovering some falsehood in the movement that they were a part of, that have become so shaken that they either drift away little by little, or suddenly abandon all and become enslaved by sin.

Proactively build yourself up in Christ through Reading and obeying His Word. If it is plainly written in the Bible, it isn't wrong just because it is associated with the church you've come from (in this case, the LC).

More could be said, especially about seeking out Christian fellowship with those who are eagerly pursuing Christ (Hebrews 10:24,25), but I have to go to work.
Thanks SteVee! For me those are excellent and positive comments.