View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
Hope

Default Re: Does "Baptist" Mean to a Baptist What "Recovery" Means to an LCer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Oregon, I understand your views, having protested regularly myself about the implications conveyed by words such as "cult, Kool-Aid, idolatry," etc. The forum can be a toxic place indeed. And ... I should add that the "Texas brand" of LCism was perhaps the most obnoxious of all. Hence, their regularly extreme assessments of the movement.
Ole' Igzy's comments here were not like that, and actually were helpful. I think we both would agree that over time the LC's have become denominated. I was persuaded of this several years ago solely due to the matter of "headquarters," and find the matter of "what's your name," to be secondary to this.

Oregon, your testimony is helpful. You have found a way to fellowship with believers both inside the LC's and out. Even though, as Igzy points out, they are both in denominations, they also are all believers, children of God, with Christ within. This is why I continually differentiate the bad behavior of LSM and LC leaders from the LC saints. Many saints are precious indeed. Many don't agree with LSM teachings and practices that differ from scripture. They stay for many reasons, and we should realize this fact in our posts.
Hold on there good Brother and friend Ohio,

Your phrase above really made me chuckle. Texas is a large area and had and still does have many different local churches with hundreds of many different brothers and sisters. I know personally the posters here who came from Texas. None of them was just your average bear. Jane Anderson is a very unique personality and one of the most intense persons I ever knew. She was not then and is not now just the average sister you might run into. Matt, Mike, Nell are all very strong personalities (a good thing). Jane and Nell were in Houston and OK City. Ray Graver and James Barber had a thing about subduing strong personalities. No doubt they were among their targets. I would suppose they received more than their fair share of abuse.

The humorous thing is that your area was discussed as a region that was under the thumb of ole tyrant Titus Chu, legal and not very living. Thus, the explanation for some of the problems. I did not like it then and I do not think it helps to lump individuals such as Igzy into groups of people. It tends to minimize what they have to offer.

Just a little brotherly fellowship.

In Christ Jesus,

Hope, Don Rutledge

PS I frankly appreciate Igzy's pointing out the fallicies and contradictions. If our premise is that all was roses or all was briars and stickers we have missed the mark by a mile. From the start there were struggles, problems and many issues to overcome. We need to throw out the myths about the recovery. I sat in too many sessions with WL in which he was discussing big problems and issues in China and Taiwan as well as Elden and then Anaheim. If you ever attended one of his elders/co-workers meetings, you know how much of his speaking was concerning the latest round of problems and what to do about it.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote