View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
OBW

Default Re: Prayer According to Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"In Jesus' name" actually means "in the Spirit." Ephesians 6:18 agrees, pray at all times "in the Spirit."
Ephesians says what it says. But nothing states that "in Jesus name" or "in my name" means "in the Spirit." Surely we will find that "in the Spirit" is part of the mix. But nothing makes it THE totality of what "in Jesus name" means.

My problem with such a simplistic statement is that we don't really know what it means to be "in the Spirit." I'm not saying that we don't have formulas and other ways to try to "get into the Spirit." But we often decipher our condition based upon fleeting feelings. If we read them positively, then we conclude that we are "in the Spirit." But we may just be having good, or the right kind of, feelings and presume that they evidence the Spirit.

The point is to pray. To pray for God's will. To seek to discover what has been "bound in heaven" and pray in accord. But even without clarity on that, pray. When we find ourselves standing in agreement with the authority, then He will act. He knows what is "in His name." He's waiting for some to pray according to that. We don't have to know that it is according to it. We just have to pray.

But there is no "simply" in it. There is no certainty. If it was just about being in the Spirit, then we could pray that Jesus would return now and he would do it. I assume that he loves for us to pray along those lines. But he is not going to return until the appointed time. So I believe that "in the Spirit" is not what Jesus was talking about when he said "pray in my name" (or however he said it). He meant "if you pray and it is what I am set to do, then I will do it."
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote