View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #443
HERn

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChristAlone View Post
Well, yes and no. We may ask any of the Church Fathers to pray for us because we believe the Church is composed of all who are in Christ - in heaven and on earth. We believe the saints are the Lord's friends who stand near the Throne of God. Those in heaven with Christ are alive, in communion with God, doing their part in the Body of Christ. So we pray to the saints who have departed this life, seeking their prayers, even as we ask Christian friends on earth to pray for us. But we don't single out or venerate one of the Church Fathers more than others. (BTW, any Apostle is revered more than a Father). We may call some of the Church Fathers "great" but even the greatest ones are not infallible. That's why we are looking for the consensus in their teachings, and we differ it from their personal opinion which can be erroneous. Thus, we show a more profound respect and love for the Church Fathers than the reverence given to WL, but there is no single Apostolic or Church Father who would be called the Minister of the Age.
That's impossible. Firstly, if someone singles a Church Father out, then what about the other Fathers? Our faith is not build on a Holy Father and his personal opinion. Secondly, the statement would sound too boastful and prideful. For example, if I claim that I have drunk from the spirit of one of the Fathers (or even from all of them), then, for my EO brothers and sisters, it would be a sign that there is something wrong with my spiritual health. In Russian, it's called "prelest" which means "self-delusion", "spiritual delusion", "spiritual deception". It's not a somatic mental illness of any kind. It is rather a spiritual illness, a false spiritual state when a person becomes possessed with the strongest pride, self-opinion, and self-conceit.
Prelest! Wow! Thanks for that word. I just read on wiki that there is quite a bit from EO writings on this topic. It's a spiritual sickness involving deception characterized by pride and vain glory. I'm going to read more on this, but now I have a valid term to describe what was wrong with WL and now the blinded brothers...they really are deceived and blinded. I think this Protestant has suffered from prelest in that I basically ignored much of the teachings before Luther and Calvin which has probably made me all that more spiritually impoverished.