View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 04:05 AM   #42
zeek

Default Re: Let's talk about hermeneutics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Let's not put the problem on those who want to adhere to Torah Law, rather the problem lies with your beloved Muslims. Why shouldn't peace loving peoples worship God as they choose?

Your comment about the Gospel of John makes no sense. The Temple is not for NT believers. If you are entitled to your dumb ideas, as are a billion Muslims, why is the same courtesy not extended to the Jews?
Religion that justifies violence sucks whether it is called Islam, Judaism or Christianity. Animal sacrifice is a superstitious idea and a cruel practice. That sucks too.

Now correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see where the Gospel of John makes a provision for Jews to be saved by any other means than faith in the Christ.

Wasn't the Samaritan woman speaking to exactly this issue when she said to Jesus " Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship"?

And Jesus answered and said to her :
"Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."
Wasn't Jesus speaking to exactly this issue and telling her that there was no need for temple worship? He doesn't say, "but this is just for non-Jews. The Jews need to go on worshipping in the temple at Jerusalem."

According to the Gospel of John's theology wouldn't it be kind of an insult to God to go on sacrificing animals, after God has sacrificed his Son once for the salvation of all?

I understand that the vast majority of Muslims hold that the Quran ‘is the speech of God, dictated without human editing’. This has made their acceptance of hermeneutics difficult.

Muslims believe an angel dictated the pre-existing Quran word for word to the prophet. To them the Quran is ‘the eternal, uncreated, literal word of God sent down from heaven, revealed one final time to the Prophet Muhammad as a guide for humankind’.

As ‘uncreated’, the Quran is divine, an extension of God himself. An eternal text implicitly ‘negates the very idea of it having a historical context’.

Traditional Muslims lean towards ahistorical, literalist readings of the Quran against modern Islamic reformers who emphasize the hermeneutic application of original Quranic statements to later historical contexts. The former strikes me as similar to the way Christian fundamentalists read the Christian Bible.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote