View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
OBW

Default Re: Setting the Mind on the Spirit - The Vanishing Verb

So they have no basis for dwelling on "set" here.

Strike 1

I also note that virtually all the translations acknowledge that the spirit that is referenced is the "Spirit," not the "spirit."

Strike 2

I haven't tried to find "strike 3" in this particular verse, but the vicinity is full of strikes.

Romans 8:6 has no verb but Lee supplied one. Look back at Romans 8:4. This verse is also about the spirit. It requires that you "walk" or "live" according to the Spirit. But Lee would turn us to our own spirit, and not allow us to actually walk. Just wait for it to flow out of us.

And let us not forget the beginning of the chapter in which Paul said that we were free from the law of sin and death, but Lee declared us free from the law. Period. No qualifier.

Nigel keeps pointing to really good "misses" on the part of Lee. I keep noting that each miss is picked-up from a ground cluttered with such "misses."

. . . .

And the fact that Isaiah makes reference to the mind "stayed" or "focused" on God does not dictate the meaning of Romans 8:6. Any assertion to "sister verse," though not without reasonable cause, is not a certainty. Paul does not hint that his writing is intended to mirror or rephrase Isaiah. (Nor does his possible different meaning change the impact of the verse in Isaiah.) Even if he had it in mind as he wrote, he is not restricted to mean what Isaiah meant in the precise same way. We may be able to argue that one amplifies or enhances the other. Or that they are related but not identical. It is not imperative that "stayed" in Isaiah rule the meaning of Romans 8:6.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote