Thread: immuno_oncology
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #28
zeek

Default Re: Immuno_oncology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
There is a specific "affect" that impacts many people's lives and not unlike that of other cult like religions such as the Mormons or JWs. You might feel that is an extreme comparison but it is why leaving is so difficult as well as the problems those who leave encounter. It is not only the repetition that is encouraged but the reading of their very own books and version of the Bible as well as their specific practices. It all affects individuals in ways they really don't realize until they decide, "this is not working for me". It is also why those who continue to stay, stay...because "where do we go and what do we do?"

I remember reading "The All-Inclusive Christ" or the "Economy of God" and thinking, "wow, I am receiving this revelatory information that other Christians are missing out on". The problem is that believing this does something to our psyche. Plus, later on there was guilt that I was never doing enough (e.g. I was never releasing my spirit enough---maybe 10,000 Oh Lord Jesus' would do it) and this intensified after the Revelation conference with WL where he spoke about the overcomers.

I had little exposure to the Recovery Version because after 8 years I left in 1978 and I don't think much of it had come out yet. In 1978 I decided I was done with the LC but it took some time (years) to really get out from under its influence and it is a subtle influence. I still believed that the teachings were the best and the deepest in Christianity but eventually I was able to extricate myself from that belief.
Right. And you never knew if it is the ministry that is wrong or maybe you were just looking at it wrong or not doing something right. Everybody has to sort it out for themselves when they leave. Maybe the biggest problem was that we weren't allowed to do that while we were in it. By being sheep in the church we avoided being responsible. There's always going to be some guilt when you think for yourself and live accordingly.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote