View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 AM   #56
aron

Default Re: OUR SHARED HISTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedel View Post
some of the Watchman Nee groups to this day refuse to acknowledge any ties with Witness Lee’s Local Church.
Does anyone know of the recent move by Dong Yu Lan in Taiwan? I heard that a big conference was held there not too many months ago, and a lot of the heavy hitters from Brazil were there. Several thousand attended, I heard. Who did the Brazilians meet with in Taiwan? With Watchman Nee groups or disaffected Witness Lee groups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedel View Post
I found this on www.emanna.com (run by Living Stream Ministry): “Witness Lee received the Lord Jesus in a personal way in 1925 at the age of 19. Eight years later, he started serving the Lord full-time. He met Watchman Nee in 1932 and became his closest co-worker. He was sent by Watchman Nee to Taiwan in 1952 to continue their ministry; rather than both being imprisoned by the Communists. In 1962, he was led by the Lord to begin his speaking and writing for Him in the United States.”
Look how the bolded quote on 'emanna' has changed. Here is what it says today:

"Prior to the Communist takeover in 1949, Witness Lee was sent by Watchman Nee and his other co-workers to Taiwan to insure that the things delivered to them by the Lord would not be lost."

Not only has the date changed, but now the ''impending imprisonment of them both'' idea is no longer mentioned. The first quote, from Friedel's copy, assumes that Nee knew he was going to be imprisoned, and made plans, including the sending of Lee elsewhere. That seems convenient, in retrospect, given that he was later imprisoned. But was it really assumed by Nee at that time that he would end up in prison? Were the words & movements of Nee in 1949-52 those of an incipient martyr or rather of someone who was seeking accommodation with the Communists instead? I find that the "rather than both of them being imprisoned" theme, which I'd heard when I was in the Lee movement, to be too convenient. Interesting that they've dropped this line from the official record.