Thread: By The Book
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #120
OBW

Default Re: By The Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You make an excellent point and tell a cautionary tale of the dangers of taking a religious book so seriously that it overrides common sense and other points of view.
I know you think that I am simply among those who have it all figured out and know what it means, but you are wrong. My book is not so dictatorial (in conjunction with my own predetermined biases) as to make me smug about anything. I sit here as an Evangelical of Charismatic background, followed by 14.5 years in the LCM, wondering whether our understanding of what God wants out of us has been mostly missed by the zealots while the quiet, simple lives of the Lutherans, Anglicans, and even a lot of those misled Catholics are actually following in the manner that most of us should be.

And that way is one in which the Bible instructs me for my life, but is not a dictator for the world. Though it expresses the intent of the one who will (in my understanding) eventually judge everyone, it is primarily for my instruction, not theirs. Yet I cannot grasp it alone and need others to work through it with me. To consider what those accounts of exaggerated but still real brutality should mean to me concerning my life and the One I follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Why isn’t America leading the world in climate change‐‐‐41% of Americans believe these are the end times anyway so what is the point or why bother..
Probably because our generation has concluded that what we see in front of us has to actually be the end times rather than the next in a 2,000 year history of believing the end times are upon us. We have no vision that the world is simply dark and will continue to be dark until the actual end, whether today or in 20,000 years.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote