Thread: By The Book
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #67
zeek

Default Re: By The Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
I did not consider that you were meaning anything personally. As I recall, you said something like "some could take this and . . . ." (not exactly how you said it). And surely some could. I did not think you were particularly pushing that thought. The main difference between what you posted and what I posted is that I said what it made me think for myself while you considered where it could go. Neither is preferable, or right or wrong when written in a context like this. They simply are what they are. And both have value when trying to consider what to make of it. Without considering the possible, we cannot have any surety that we have discovered what is right (assuming we can get there).

Some will take that verse and declare that we can't know anything about God and become negative. Some will read it and realize that whatever we think we know is incomplete, yet strive to reduce the knowledge gap. And in isolation that would seem to at least somewhat frame the bounds of possibility. And some will read everything around it and realize how woefully flawed and inadequate we are. And our knowing is just as inadequate. And they have a choice to make whether it causes them to despair concerning knowing and following God, or understand that there is much left to be learned and move forward.
It isn't clear to me from this that you understand what negative theology is. But, it's off topic, so I won't pursue the issue further here.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote