View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Sons to Glory!

Default Re: Eating & Drinking Jesus Daily - who emphasizes this besides the LC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo S View Post
Receiving the Holy Spirit through repentance is a one time event. You don't have to keep eating and drinking. If spiritual gluttony were a term in the bible, I'd use it to describe mysticism. Paul's use of the term "given" in 1 Corinthians 12:13 is denoting a past event, not a continual drinking of the spirit.

When the simplicity of Christ isn't enough for people they tend to over-spiritualize scriptures. This is what the local churches do and this is what mysticism is. It looks for hidden meanings and nuances in the text that simply aren't there.

The bottom line is if you lack repentance toward God yet want to remain "spiritual" you'll always fall into mysticism...
Hmm, boy I'm glad I only have to eat just once to sustain my physical life! Oh wait, no I dont and no I'm not glad - because I like to eat, and I get to do it a number of times today! If I didn't eat frequently, my energy would suffer greatly (except the energy to find something to eat).

And why do we do the Lord's Table more than once?

And what about drinking - we have to do that even more often . . . is there perhaps a picture there? What I think you're saying sounds a little like the idea that "I've got my ticket punched, now I don't need anything until I go to heaven," doesn't it?

"As the dear panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God." Psalm 42:1